Land Off Britford Lane
9th October 2015
Longford Estates and St Nicholas Hospital Land off Britford Lane, Harnham, Salisbury
Longford Estates and St Nicholas Hospital are in the early stages of developing plans for an exemplary residential development on land off Britford Lane in Salisbury. We are committed to raising the bar in terms of a design-led, bespoke, quality development that the community can be proud of.
Involving the community in this project to bring benefit to the local area is of great importance and we want to inform the residents of Salisbury at an early stage. A consultation programme will shortly be undertaken to present our proposals to the local community.
There is an acknowledged need for further housing throughout the UK. Wiltshire is no exception and, like all other local authorities, has a Government target to find land for new homes, with the focus being on towns and cities. Indications show that this is probably the most sustainable and deliverable housing development in Salisbury.
About the site:
The site has been promoted through the Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) and is currently identified as a potential housing site in the emerging Site Allocations Development Plan Document.
The development site benefits from being located in a highly sustainable position, outside the Environment Agency’s designated flood zones offering a unique opportunity to provide a range of both open market and affordable housing in Salisbury. Importantly, the proposed development does not sit on water-meadows.
We are committed to delivering a comprehensive development and have undertaken significant technical studies to ensure this site is suitable for development.
What is being proposed:
This will be a high-quality development designed by an award-winning local architectural practice, which will be sympathetic to the local vernacular within the setting of Salisbury. The proposals include:
- A high-quality scheme for 100 homes that will reflect and enhance local character;
- A range of design features within the site including a formal tree lined green, and both personal and communal gardens;
- Provision of improved pedestrian / cycle links to the city centre, allowing for reduced reliance on the car (a very rare opportunity in a rural county);
- A range of open market homes, improving choice and competition locally;
- A 40% affordable home allocation in accordance with Wiltshire Council Policy requirements and Central Governments targets;
- The facilitation of pedestrian access to the city centre for residents of East Harnham;
- Associated water management incorporated into the scheme, the construction of this development is likely to improve drainage locally;
- Financial contributions via Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), a portion of which will go directly to the local coummunity to assist in the delivery of local facility improvements
Given our commitment to the area, the community should be assured that this development would not be a ‘typical’ housing scheme and will set a benchmark for design quality.
Find out more
As part of our community engagement, we would like to invite you to our public exhibitions to view our proposals for the development of much needed new homes in Salisbury.
Members of the project team will be on hand to discuss our intentions for this scheme, answer any questions you may have as well as receive your feedback.
Please note that the information at each public exhibition will be identical.
Please join us at:
Salisbury Guildhall, Market Walk, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 1JH
On: Saturday 21st November 10-4pm
Or: Monday 23rd November 3-7pm
Further information can be found on the exhibition invitation newsletter. Click here to download.
If you have any questions in the meantime you can contact:
Freephone: 0800 298 7040